I have been feeling wary about microwave popcorn lately. First of all, the lining of the bag can release PFOA, (a chemical related to Teflon) into the popcorn oil after being heated. PFOA is carcinogenic in lab animals. Then there's the artificial butter that often contains the chemical diacetyl. Workers in popcorn factories (exposed to large amounts of it) have contracted bronchiolitis obliterans, a life-threatening form of lung disease (often called popcorn lung because it can happen to these workers). Even without the diacetyl issue, artificial butter isn't good for you.
I know I can just pop popcorn on the stove and sometimes I do, but sometimes I'm lazy and don't feel like it. I just came across a method for popping popcorn in a paper bag in the microwave. You put 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels in a paper bag, fold the top (accordion-style) twice, then put a piece of scotch tape in the middle to keep it closed. Microwave as usual. Melt 1 Tbsp butter with some salt in a glass Pyrex measuring cup and pour over popcorn.
Yum!!
We were getting Orville Redenbacher's Natural Butter popcorn at the store, but it was insanely expensive (3 packs for about $3.50). That was 7.5 Tbsp (unpopped) for $3.50. We bought a thing of plain kernels for $5.99 (63 Tbsp). I even found organic popcorn on Amazon (for next time around) that is significantly cheaper than the plain kernels we got at the store.
The taste is way better, too. Oh, and you can re-pop any wasted kernels and re-use the paper bag!
No comments:
Post a Comment