Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dishwasher detergent

We almost always purchased Cascade until a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes I'd go for those pre-packaged little squares of dish detergent in whatever brand, but for the most part Cascade was our detergent of choice. For over a week we've been using Biokleen Free & Clear Automatic Dish Powder.

The ingredients in Biokleen's dish detergent:
Natural oxygen bleach (sodium percarbonate) - scores a 0
Vegetable fiber
Natural anti-corrosive agents (I found a journal article discussing these as various plant extracts)
Grapefruit seed and pulp extract - scores a 0
Soda ash (sodium carbonate) - scores a 0
Sodium citrate - scores a 0
Readily biodegradable nonionic surfactants (proprietary??)

The ingredients in Cascade:
Sodium carbonate (soda ash) - scores a 0
Sodium sulfate - scores a 1
Water - scores a 0
Sodium silicate - scores a 3 (irritant)
Sodium percarbonate - scores a 0
Modified polyacrylate - no score, a skin and eye irritant although non-toxic if ingested?
Alcohol alkoxylate - no score, a nonionic surfactant ... MSDS sheet said to avoid it seeping into sewage systems so that can't be too good
Polyethylene glycol - scores as high as a 6
Hydrozincite - no score, a mineral, reduces metal tarnishing
Amine Cobalt Salt - no score, uncertain of its function
Protease - scores a 0, an enzyme
Amylase - scores as high as a 3, an enzyme
Perfume - scores an 8 (under fragrance, a catch-all term for any number of ingredients)

Cascade used to contain phosphates, but it doesn't anymore. Phosphates help soften water and suspend dirt, but they also are bad for the environment. They get into our rivers, increasing algae growth which then inhibits the oxygen needed for healthy aquatic life. Not good!

Also, it's hard to say if dish detergent is 100% removed from dishes after the rinse cycle, so I'd like to use one that is as safe as possible should I accidentally consume some residue. I doubt that's a problem once but over time that can't be too great.

I can't tell a difference between Cascade and Biokleen. They both work great. I have even tested out using half a tablespoon of Biokleen (instead of one) and my dishes still look good. I also like that I can't smell any fragrances. I have a pretty good dishwasher and do pre-rinse (just slightly), so your results may vary depending on your dishwasher and tendency to rinse.

Cost comparison on Amazon:
Biokleen Free & Clear 32 ounces (64 loads ... double this if you can get away with half a scoop): $12.50 (39 cents/oz, but you can double the load # and it goes down to about 20 cents/oz)

Cascade Complete Powder 45oz 2pack (so 90 ounces): $16.93 (19 cents/oz) -- the directions say to fill the entire 2 chambers of your soap dispenser. I only fill one chamber and it takes 2 Tbsp. to clean my dishes (I could maybe get it down to 1 Tbsp). Essentially I need double the amount of Cascade.

1 ounce = 2 tablespoons. So for each ounce of Biokleen I can do 4 loads. 32oz x 4 loads/oz = 128 loads for $12.50. For each ounce of Cascade I can do 2 loads. 90oz x 1 load/oz = 90 loads for $16.93. 90oz x 2 loads/oz = 180 loads for $16.93.

So if I use half a tablespoon per load with Biokleen and 1 tablespoon per load with Cascade, Cacade is 2/5ths of a cent cheaper per load. However if I use 2 tablespoons like I normally do with Cascade, then Biokleen is cheaper.

Phew! That was a bit lengthy, sorry. =)

Convenient access:
It is much easier to get Cascade than it is to get Biokleen. This is often the case with green products, but it's easily purchased on Amazon if you're willing to venture online.

I'm satisfied with this switch, plus the container takes up way less room in the cabinet. One thing to note: you have to provide your own scoop (encourages you to reuse, I guess?).

No comments:

Post a Comment