Since the babies were born we have been using Tide Free. Last month we switched to Biokleen All Temperature Citrus Laundry Powder (with chlorine-free bleach). All of its ingredients fall in the green zone and a couple are plant extracts (natural but couldn't search on EWG).
The ingredients list for Tide Free HE is long. I didn't put everything into the EWG database, but most of the ones I entered fell in the green or yellow zone. Tide contains borax -- I didn't even know that! Borax (rated a 6 by EWG) is something I want to be cautious of since it can be very toxic in infants (if ingested). It can also cause respiratory and skin irritations. I don't think it has to be avoided at all costs, but I am glad to find a replacement detergent without borax just in case. I also like that it has oxygen bleach in it, so I can stop using OxyClean Free (saves money and time!).
It was strange switching back to a powder detergent after using liquid for so long, but I don't mind. I put about 1/2 to 2/3 a scoop of detergent in per load (1.5-2Tbsp). We have a front-loading HE machine. I haven't noticed a difference in cleaning power, so I will take that to be a good thing! I also like the light citrus scent, although it doesn't linger after going through the dryer.
Some nice things about Biokleen:
-No artificial fragrances, colors or preservatives (this holds true for Tide except preservatives)
-Manufactured with 100% green energy (wind, I believe? ... 100% according to Biokleen, of course, I can't say for sure ...)
-Rapidly biodegrades/safe for environment (the surfactants in Tide also biodegrade)
-Does not contain SLS or optical brighteners
-No animal testing
Cost comparison on Amazon:
Biokleen 5lb box (75 HE loads): $15.99 (17 cents/ounce). If you subscribe and get a 4 pack of 10lb boxes it goes down to 8 cents/ounce.
Tide Free HE liquid 50 ounces (32 loads): $10.57 (21 cents/ounce). If you subscribe you can get it down to 18 cents/ounce.
Tide Free HE powder 113-ounces (80 loads): $21.99 (19 cents/ounce). If you subscribe you can get it down to 17 cents/ounce.
Convenient access:
It's obviously easier to find Tide Free, but I saw Biokleen at our local grocery store in the organic aisle, so it's not impossible to locate.
The savings in going green with Biokleen are pretty incredible! It is literally half the cost of Tide Free (comparing subscription prices). Even without a subscription it works out to be about the same price per load (looking at Tide powder). You can also recycle the cardboard because it doesn't have a chemical liner like normal boxes of detergent. There is a plastic bag inside the box to help preserve the powder. It is technically recyclable but that would depend on what your area recycles. The only drawback is convenience, but I am finding that once you adjust to Amazon it ends up being more convenient to have your stuff automatically show up at your door just as you're realizing you're running low.
No comments:
Post a Comment