Monday, July 11, 2011

All-purpose spray

Until very recently, whenever I needed an all-purpose spray, I would use Windex Multi-Purpose Kitchen and Glass Cleaner (discontinued), or sometimes just the classic blue Windex. I used these for cleaning shelves and drawers in the refrigerator, countertops, sinks, small spills on linoleum, spills in the microwave, scrubbing the stove top, etc.

The ingredients in the Multi-Purpose Spray aren't too horrible ... it's mostly water (96.25%). The other ingredients score a 4 on EWG: isopropanol (3.5%) and ethylene glycol (0.5-1.5%). Still, there has to be something better than that, especially when I have 4 little babies crawling around!

I decided to give Method's All-Purpose Spray (clementine) a try first. I loved the smell, and the bright orange color was really pretty. =)

Here are the ingredients:
1) Corn and coconut derived surfactants (code word for SLS)
2) Soda ash (aka sodium carbonate): - scores a 1 on EWG
3) Corn-based cleaning salt: appears to be potassium cornate, which is the potassium salt of fatty acids derived from corn oil. It acts as a surfactant. This scores a 0 on EWG but only because there's no data about it. From what I can tell, it doesn't act as an eye irritant, but is hazardous if ingested.
4) Potassium hydrate (aka potassium hydroxide): scores a 1 on EWG. I think it's used here as a pH adjuster.
5) Fragrance oil and color: umm what? Method claims these are non-toxic and non-carcinogenic according to the FDA and DEA. Natural dyes would promote bacteria growth and not give them the vibrant colors they want. I can see their point, probably safe enough, but I could do without these if possible.
6) Water: safe!

I really liked this spray. Honestly, I think it does just about the same job as the Multi-Purpose cleaner, but I prefer it because of the yummy orange scent. It helped block the nasty smell after my daughter threw up several times this past week. That's great! Still, I am not too thrilled with the long ingredients list ... I think it is safe enough and pretty environmentally friendly, but it's kind of expensive and I'd prefer a cheaper alternative.

Last week I took the plunge and ordered a well-reviewed 6 pack of 100% pure essential oils for $26 (included shipping). They smell so good and should last a long time, too. Some of these oils have natural antibacterial properties as well.

I found a recipe online for an all-purpose spray that was super easy to make and dirt cheap:
50% vinegar (white, distilled)
50% water
5-10 drops essential oil per 16oz solution (*see below for adjustments)

I made it with 10 drops of lemongrass oil. The solution itself worked just fine when my sister used it to clean out the fridge drawers, but it sort of smelled like a marinade. I added 10 drops of lavender oil to balance it out, and I found the scent to be pleasant when I used it to scrub some spots on the kitchen floor later. It smelled very clean and kitcheny (lemon was muted a little bit with the lavender).

Cost comparison on Amazon:
Windex: about $4.12 for 36 ounces
Method: $5.10 for 28 ounces
Vinegar/Water combo: $1.35 for 14oz of vinegar (or less $ depending on the jug) + 14oz water (almost free) + less than 43 cents for the oils

Convenient access:
It's slightly easier to locate vinegar than Windex or Method. You must have essential oils on hand, but the overall cost savings probably makes the homemade solution more convenient in the long run.

Once I got off my lazy butt and ordered the oils I was pretty happy to switch over to a homemade solution. Definitely saves money, I don't lose anything in cleaning power, and it is safer for my kids, myself, and the environment. Added bonus: less packaging waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment