Thursday, July 14, 2011

Yogurt

Okay, so I'm a mere 6 posts or so into this blog, and I already lied. I made my own yogurt, despite claiming I never would. However, you would, too, if you found a recipe this simple: Crockpot Yogurt. This recipe was so easy I couldn't not try it.

It takes a long time, but there are really just a couple of steps. It makes the equivalent of two 32oz tubs of yogurt. My husband and I calculated that we spend over $1000 a year on yogurt between small cups for the 2 of us and tons of the 32oz Stoneyfield tubs for the babies. That's crazy! This recipe uses a half gallon of whole milk and a half cup of plain, whole fat yogurt (buy a cup the first time then use some of your first batch for your starter next time).

Current yogurt costs per week:
$4.09 per Stoneyfield 32oz tub x 3.5 tubs per week = $14.32
50 cents per cup of Dannon yogurt (average) x 10 cups per week = $5.00
Total spent per week = $19.32
$19.32 x 52 weeks = $1004.64 per year

Costs of making homemade (rate of 1.75 batches per week):
$2.00 per half gallon of milk x 1.75 = $3.50
+ 50 cents for a starter cup (if needed)
Total spent per week = $4.00
(or $3.50 if no starter)
$4.00 x 52 weeks = $208 per year

Total savings per week = $15.32
Total savings per year = $796.64

Wow, talk about savings! My first batch tasted yummy, but it was a little on the thin side. Next time I will filter it through a coffee filter or cheese cloth to get it to thicken up a bit. I flavored half of it with vanilla and a little honey and left the other half plain. I have been enjoying it all week for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment