Monday, July 18, 2011

Raw honey and homemade granola bars

I have been enjoying a blog called Kitchen Stewardship lately. I have gotten a lot of great tips from her on saving money, being green and eating less processed foods. She was my inspiration for making yogurt (although I don't use her recipe). She has a great recipe for homemade granola bars that I've made twice so far. The first time I used dried cranberries as a mix-in and this time I used mini chocolate chips. They're delicious and easy to make. Each batch makes about 20 or so bars. I never looked at the back of a standard box of store bought granola bars before, but there are a lot of random ingredients in them. I am hoping I can make these bars once every week or every other week, whatever rate we go through them.

Also, I've started using raw honey instead of regular honey. Here's why (copied from KS):
  • Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Viral, Anti-Fungal
  • Treats coughs/upper respiratory infections
  • May promote better blood sugar control
  • Experimental evidence indicates that consumption of honey may improve blood sugar control and insulin sensitivity compared to other sweeteners.
  • Antioxidants
  • Improved HDL cholesterol
  • Boosts immunity
  • Some research shows that taking a Tbs of raw honey made within 100 miles of your home fights off seasonal allergies.
This doesn't apply to regular honey, however if you're heating honey (in baking, for example) you may as well use regular honey because the heat will destroy the things that provide these benefits. I've been using raw honey on oatmeal for lunch. It's delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment