Last month we switched from regular bagged, ground coffee to organic, fair trade, shade grown, whole bean coffee (Camano Island brand). Don't freak out -- the price is better than you'd think. Here's why we switched:
1) It's certified organic.
Most of the countries coffee is grown in are very unregulated. They often use toxic pesticides and fertilizers that aren't even legal here in the United States. Coffee is porous and absorbs pesticides very easily. Camano Island's coffee is certified organic. They also require the land the coffee is grown on to have been artificial pesticide/fertilizer free for at least 7 years.
2) It's shade grown.
Shade grown coffee = no rainforests were destroyed to grow said coffee. I will say that shade grown is not always necessary. For example, there may be situations where no rain forest existed in the first place, so it wouldn't matter in those cases. For the coffee I was purchasing, however, its location did mean I needed to find a shade grown source. If you aren't sure just err on the safe side. Some sources say shade grown coffee tastes better, too, because it grows more slowly.
3) It's fair trade.
The farmers are paid a fair wage for their coffee. Now, I do realize that there is some controversy in the way the Fairtrade Foundation operates (as in how much actually gets to the farmers). For a general overview, go here. It's certainly not perfect. In doing research I found a few other coffee companies that seemed even more legitimate than Camano but the prices were outrageous.
Camano Island does help its farmers. Here's a 2008 article in which the author describes the company's "Direct Trade" approach -- dealing directly with the farmers and eliminating the middlemen. This probably helps get the farmers a better price for their coffee beans. Camano Island also offers interest free loans to their farmers to help them get their products up to organic standards. From what I can tell they do seem to be helping coffee growing families increase their standard of living to some extent. The company also donates to Agros International (who helps set up villages land grants, medical care, education, etc.) Part of the price of your coffee purchase goes directly to this cause (in the villages where the coffee was grown).
4) It's an American company, started on Camano Island, WA.
It's always an added bonus to support American companies.
5) It's fresh-roasted, vacuum sealed, and whole bean (although you can also purchase ground coffee).
The whole bean thing took some adjusting to for us labor-wise, but we always knew fresh ground coffee was best anyway. Once we got into the rhythm of grinding it's been great to get that yummy flavor back again. We got a 5 pound bag and froze it in 1 pound amounts. Then we just grind what we need.
6) Free shipping, either on Amazon or on their own website (can be automated, too).
7) It tastes really great! (well-reviewed, too!)
We got the Papua New Guinea Medium roast (we prefer medium or light coffees), and it's fantastic. When we had other coffee (including other organic, fair trade from the store) it couldn't hold a candle to this coffee. Now, some of that is most likely due to the fact that it is fresher (properly stored) and whole bean, but I do feel like at least part of it has to be the roasting process.
8) It's actually pretty affordable!
I really hate Folgers and Maxwell House-type coffee. I mean, I'd drink it in a pinch, but we never buy it. You can't beat that price. The best deal we could get on coffee at the store that we'd actually purchase is when New England coffee is on sale for $5.99/12 ounces. That works out to 50 cents per ounce. When it's not on sale it runs $6.99/12 ounces (58 cents/ounce).
Camano Island whole bean 5lb bags (80 ounces) are $49.90. That works out to 62 cents per ounce (free shipping). That is a totally reasonable price increase for the huge advantages we're getting by switching -- even for one of those reasons I think it'd be worth it!
I hadn't even thought to check amazon out for coffee. I keep waiting for the Commissary to have a good deal on coffee, but the prices just aren't budging.
ReplyDeleteSo...I'm thinking that I'll be using each and every one of these entries when I muster up the ambition to go all-green. Hopefully it will be sooner than later! I ought to be archiving your posts, but I guess you can just make sure you don't erase your blog in the next couple years :)
ReplyDelete